The legendary explorer Vasco Da Gama sailed this coastline and Cannon Rocks owes it’s name to the wrecking of the Portuguese ship Sao Joao Baptista that ran aground here after a battle with two Dutch ships in March 1622. The survivors, 279 of them, began their arduous walk to Lourenzo Marques (Maputo since 1976) but only 28 completed the journey. The old cannons and anchor from the wreck were discovered and remain on display in the village. Today Cannon Rocks borders directly onto the Woody Cape section of the Greater Addo Elephant National Park.
Ancient middens alongside the beach on the west
The Cannons at west end of Alice Road
Shifting sand dunes
Shipwrecks (submerged) on the Cape Padrone (west of Cannon Rocks) coastline