Great Fish Pont LighthouseBack

9 metre octagonal masonry tower painted with vertical black and white stripes, installed on 1 July 1898 and situated at Great Fish Point near the mouth of the Great Fish River a mere 25 km from the coastal holiday resort of Port Alfred. The establishment of this lighthouse arose out of a recommendation from the Lighthouse Commission of the time appointed by the Governor of the Cape Colonial Government in 1890. The construction of the lighthouse was delayed and was only lit on 1 July 1898. The 9 metre octagonal masonry tower painted in vertical Black and white stripes is situated 76 metres above sea level and is approximately 800 metres from the shoreline. The light flashes once every 10 seconds and has an approximate candle power of 5 000 000 candelas with a range of 32 sea miles. Light Type Revolving Electric Light Character 1 flash every 10 seconds Light Range 32 sea miles Light Power 5 000 000 CD Height of focal Plane 85 metres above high water To book accommodation contact 021-449-2400

t: 046 675 1067  |