This is the oldest commercial street in Port Alfred. Around 1820 Wharf Street was a dusty path beside the river, where up to 10 ships moored, with buildings erected to serve shipping. Most of the buildings are intact, with changes made by various owners over the years. The beautifully preserved stone buildings now housing Wharf Street Brew Pub was once the harbour office, and later the town hall and municipal offices, a bioscope and nightclub . A mooring chain, evidence of ships offloading cargo, can be seen along the banks the river.