PiersBack

Construction of the piers was completed in 1887.   Workers were convicts originally housed in wooden buildings on stilts.  Stone quarried from hospital grounds.   Coco pan trolly used to transport cave excavated into the hill to store explosives and serving as a cooler for recaltriant workers.   The steam crane was reported to lay 20 stones a day.    The blocks were placed on trolley hauled to the end of the pier.   Hercules radius of 45 ft. handled up to 10 ton concrete bricks.   Wreck of the Hercules can be seen along the west pier