Building began in 1825, and the church opened in 1827. It was burnt down on Christmas Day in 1834, during the 6th Frontier Wars, but rebuilt to open again six years later. During the War of the Axe, in 1846, the church was again burnt down. An iron roof replaced the original thatch. In 1900/1 during the Anglo Boer War, the Church housed refugee families. In 1915 it was used as Sunday school. In 1938 it was proclaimed a national monument and re-opened in 1939 after further restoration. In 1968 major reconstruction was once again undertaken and in 1974 it was granted full status as a National Monument. The bell is original and the churchyard is filled with the graves of 1820 settlers and their descendants. The earliest grave dates back to 1830. A bible, housed for safekeeping in the Kowie Museum, was presented to the Settlers Church by Mr. & Mrs. Goldswain. “William Goldswain 1866” is written on the front page. William, the first son of original settlers Jeremiah and Eliza Goldswain, was born in 1823 and died in 1898.